Tempered glass is made to reduce the chances of injury or death. According to the 2012 International Residential Code, it is required at these hazardous locations.
- Any door.
- Anything within 2′ of a door on the hinge side.
- Anywhere within 5′ of a hot tub, swimming pool, spa, sauna, shower, or bathtub.
- Any walkway around wet locations where the bottom edge of the glass is less than 5′ high.
- Any glass alongside a stairway, landing, or ramp.
- Any window with a single pane greater than 9 square feet.
- Any type of guardrail or handrail.
- Basically any glass in an area where a human could fall through it, or it could fall upon someone, should be tempered.
- Mirrors are subject to the same safety rules unless they have a solid backing.